The stated aim was to "kill the Indian in the child"

Unless a free people are educated -- taught to think intelligently and plan wisely -- freedom usually does more harm than good. This forum is to help establish Cosmic insight interpreted in terms of planetary facts, needs, and goals. Help the worlds citizens to be informed by posting current information on World Events.

The stated aim was to "kill the Indian in the child"

Unread postby Paul Kemp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:21 am

The stated aim was to "kill the Indian in the child"...

By:Aaron Paquette Facebook

For the past 7 generations the children in my family were stolen from their home and either put in outside/foster care or sent to Residential School.

This was mandatory and law.

The Schools were generally many tens of miles away from home, sometimes further. That way it was difficult for parents to visit.

The schools were generally run by religious organizations (Anglican, Catholic, United, and Presbyterians) on behalf of the Canadian Government, officially starting in the 1840's.

Approximately 150,000 children went to Residential School.

50,000 of them died in Residential School or in trying to escape.

At school, they were taught that their grandparents were evil devil worshipers and that their language was the Devil's Tongue. If they spoke anything other than English, the children were punished.

The first thing that happened to them upon arrival was the cutting off of their braids.

Most of the children were abused physically, all emotionally and many sexually.

This from the people who were indoctrinating them in Christianity and the Word of God's Love.

The last Residential School closed in 1996. Not 1896...1996.

The stated aim was to "kill the Indian in the child".

So imagine, if you will, what kind of damaged person emerged from a place like that. They have lost their culture, their language, their sense of self worth and their grip on proper behaviour.

Now imagine them trying to piece a life back together in world that despises them for their skin, their family, their culture, their very existence.

Now imagine their feelings when their own children are taken away, and they know what is happening to them, but they can't do anything about it. Many tried and were arrested.

A shadow of shame and violence descended and for generations no one talked about their experiences. They hid their pain in alcohol. They perpetuated their own abuses.

Some didn't. Some found healing again in their culture. A culture that the government was actively attempting to stamp out, that had to be kept secret.

I am the first generation of my family that wasn't taken from my home.

Imagine that.

And that's just one issue.

Over the next few weeks I'll address some of the questions that have been thrown my way.

I am also working on a possible set of inforgraphics with the amazing Chelsea Vowel which will explain things in a format that is easily understood.

All people have suffered and come from a long line of suffering. For some of us it is sickness, in any of its forms, for others it's secrets or loss.

We are born into suffering and grow in it. It shapes us.

If we only go with the flow, we become lost in it.

But it doesn't have to be that way. We can navigate these waters, these tears.

Suffering makes us strong if we let it. Even as the body weakens, the spirit can become unstoppable.

If your body is whole, pushing it can build muscle and endurance. The same truth is reflected in spirit.

But we need to see a path. A way. When we are lost in darkness it feels as if there is no choice that could lead to something better. We get stuck in the tangles of the woods, the forest of our mind.

That's when we need to stop struggling, stop recounting the horrors of our journey and simply rise above it.

To "get away from it all" we often watch tv or have a drink or play video games...check Facebook, lol.

But that activity only makes us sleep. Our soul shuts down and we become numb. Zombies.

I have found that a creative state, a prayerful state, a meditative state...these have the same effect of allowing us to shed our stress. But instead of going numb, we do the opposite. We become alive.

We become aware and awake.

Not in the sense of a plan or accelerated thoughts, but a peaceful state that allows you to see. The shadows are banished.

It takes practice. It takes time. It takes a willingness to be calm, slow down, become still.

In Cree culture, we have many methods to attain this state. It's embedded in the culture itself. The strongest elements of Cree spirituality and well being demand that you put the world aside and become present.

The same thing is found in Indigenous cultures across the Americas and the world.

It's how we survived the centuries of attempted genocide. How we laugh when things are darkest.

It's what heals the people and gives them strength.

It's how we continue to offer peace, to talk and find solutions, to love those who would destroy us.

It's a gift left to us from our ancestors, preserved through the generations.

The fundamental teachings are what will save the world.

And it's what will save your personal world.

Learning how to think about your problems, to view them as opportunities for learning and growth - to view them as spiritual gifts - that's what will completely revolutionize your life, your community and the world.

Hiy hiy

Join the discussion:
You must be logged in to post a comment. If you haven't registered yet, click here to register. (It's quick, easy and free. And we won't give your email address to anyone.)
Paul Kemp
Site Admin

Are you a student of the Urantia Book?: Yes, I am a reader of the Uranta Book.
Urantia Book Study Poll: 29

Will Idle No More Succeed? - Aaron Paquette

Unread postby Paul Kemp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 am

Will Idle No More Succeed?...

By:Aaron Paquette Facebook

I had a brief interview on a nationally broadcast radio show called The Current this morning. It airs on CBC.

It's very interesting to listen to the media attempting to report on this movement. The fact that it has no official leaders, that it sprouts up wherever and whenever and then fades away only to rise again has them flummoxed.

Even old school activists don't know how to define it.

They are so close to understanding it but for some reason the magic of it remains elusive to them.

It's not about power. It's not about force. It's about peacefully stating what's wrong, while at the same time showing how things can be right.

There's no list or leader to debunk or destroy.

They try comparing it to Occupy. But there's no enemy here.

What is wanted is very simple.

A return to honoring the Treaties, both in spirit and law.

And a return to valuing Mother Earth not for the dollar, but for the life we derive. For the diversity we enjoy, and the beauty we feel.

And yet, it's not just touchy feely.

It's practical. It's the voice of a rising generation who see that the end to our global madness can end either by Armageddon or by choice. And we're asking that we make that choice.

That we become aware.

That we become responsible.

So far, we've been able to get by on luck, but that luck is running out.

In my personal view, we dishonor the Creator when we dishonor His Creation.

If you wonder why we treat women so poorly in this world, we need look no further than how we treat Mother Earth.

So while this is about protecting the waters from poison, and about finally applying justice to our relationship between Government and the Indigenous population, it's also about taking the next step in human maturity.

We have a choice facing us.

Do we remain under the thrall of our breakneck pace of development and greed?

Or do we realize we are more than that. That we're here for a reason, and it's not to work 8 hours a day at a job we hate to fulfill the economic demands of society.

We're here to live.

And yes, maybe living means that 8 hour a day job, but at least we choose to do it and understand it's not who we are, but what we must do. We find the zen in it.

We're here to be alive, to be a part of life.

So work in this system we have created, but don't believe in it.

Time once was when our ancestors were free because they knew it. The wind blew through their hair, they hunted, they laughed, they lived in their communities.

The children were raised by mothers and aunties and Kokums and taught to be brave.

The fathers and uncles and Mosums would teach the boys how to use that bravery to protect and provide.

And somewhere in your family history, maybe thousands of years ago, you had that, too.

Now we are in a constant battle to keep our water, land and air clean because such a very few want more and more and more.

Because the game of power is more important than the reality of your grandchildren growing up safe.

I often speak of finding balance, of being kind.

That's the only way we will save this world. And we have to start now. Or whenever you're ready. I know what it's like with kids, lol.

I know you feel it. I know you agree somewhere inside of you. I know it seems like an impossible change. But it's not.

It's easy.

One smile, one good action, one vote, one choice at a time.

As silly as it sounds, this world we're living in doesn't need a Big Hero...it just needs you.

You are a real, every day hero. And you will save the world.

hiy hiy.

-Aaron Paquette

For those interested, here is my little one minute radio spot. :)

At about the 2:50 mark.

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/popupaudio ... 2323745599

Feel free to share this audio and these words. :)

Join the discussion:
You must be logged in to post a comment. If you haven't registered yet, click here to register. (It's quick, easy and free. And we won't give your email address to anyone.)
Paul Kemp
Site Admin

Are you a student of the Urantia Book?: Yes, I am a reader of the Uranta Book.
Urantia Book Study Poll: 29

Return to Urantia Broadcast - World News Forum